The Corn Mill
The existence of the mill is mentioned in the 1085/7 doomsday book. It was one of several mills that operated in Spofforth, some driven by water and at least one driven by wind.
It was frequently reported to be in disrepair between 1240 and 1368, probably due to trouble caused by Scottish raiders which discouraged investment in it.
In 1479 a new mill spindle was installed for the tenant, Richard the miller, but it became disused again in 1489.
The Duke of Northumberland in 1516 supplied an oak tree so that a new mill spindle could be installed and a further tree to renew the buckets on the water wheel. The rent paid was £4.13s 4p per year (£4.66)
In 1791, the mill dam was re-built and enlarged by Holmes the mason and William Tate.
The mill was more or less still complete in 1970 after which it was converted into a house.